Adventures in Cheese

A chronicle of my journey to London to work in a well-known British cheese shop.

Friday, December 02, 2005

I love my job.


Had a great first day at the shop, even though I felt extremely clumsy (the thigh-high Wellies may have had something to do with it). They are very friendly, and VERY particular about the way things are done - cleaning especially.

You start by dunking your Wellies (while wearing them) and scrubbing them. Then you literally scrub yourself down. The uniform is a chef's jacket and a plasticky vinyl-type apron which sounds horrible, but is actually thin and pliable and quite cool really. Up top it's a blue cap or hairnet. (Luckily, my hair was deemed short enough for the cap.)

Once you've been scrubbed and sanitized, you hose off and go to work. The shop today was constantly busy, but every so often you'd find yourself wading through a flood of sanitizing water as someone decided to re-scrub the floor.

The customers wait quietly and politely for their turn. I felt badly for the poor souls who ended up with me after their long wait, but most were patient and encouraging as I taught myself to count pounds and measure grams.

I miss all of you!

photos still pending . . .

1 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey linz
worst response ever. you look wonderful. cassie and tully say cheese.be good. have fun i miss
you more than good gouda/
mr b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home